big city
We offer easy and convenient Invoice Payment options for you!

Grandsparents' Rights

Free Consultation

Advocating For Grandparents' Rights

Unfortunately, Washington law severely restricts the rights of grandparents in cases in which a fit parent wishes to exclude a grandparent from the life of a child. Where a child has resided with a grandparent or where both biological parents are unfit, however, a grandparent may have grounds to seek custody of a child through a third-party custody action.
If you are a grandparent, you may wish to seek custody of a grandchild for a variety of reasons:
  • - Your grandchild was living with you and doing well, but the biological parent is now asking for the return of the child or has already taken the child.
  • - Both biological parents may be unfit due to alcohol or chemical dependency, mental instability or other challenges.
  • - Your grandchild must be removed from biological parents who are abusive.
If you are a grandparent who needs to initiate a third-party custody action, or if you need to speak with a lawyer to learn more about your rights, I encourage you to contact me, attorney Mark D. Hodgson. I am an experienced Spokane grandparents’ rights attorney, and I am sensitive to the unique challenges presented by third-party custody cases. For assistance, contact my law office in Spokane, Washington.

Handling Challenging Issues In Third-Party Custody Cases

It is not uncommon for parents to struggle for a period of time and place a child in the care of a grandparent. Single parents, in particular, often reach out for the assistance of grandparents when they do not have a spouse or former spouse to rely upon in tough times.
Frequently in such situations, a parent may need to place a child with a grandparent because he or she is unable to deal with the responsibilities of being a parent. Due to unemployment, chemical dependency, depression or other challenges, the parent may need time before he or she is able to properly care for a child.
Complications may arise when the parent has left a child in the care of a grandparent for a protracted period of time and then determines that he or she wishes to remove the child from a grandparent. The grandparent may have doubts about the parent’s ability to provide proper care for the child. In other situations, the child may have adapted to a new home, neighborhood and school. A sudden disruption could be harmful to the child’s well-being.
As mentioned above, another challenging issue is when a child is currently living with a parent who poses a risk of danger to a child. What if a single father has an alcohol or drug problem? What if a single mother is unfit or is involved with a man who is a convicted sex offender or has committed acts of domestic violence?
Handling Challenging Issues In Third-Party Custody Cases

Putting Children First

I encourage you to speak with me if you are considering a third-party custody case. One of the benefits of consulting with me is that I will provide you with candid advice. If I feel you do not have a strong case, I will tell you so. I believe that every client has a right to my forthright appraisal of his or her case.
If retained to handle your case, I will think proactively and strategically. There may be a way to obtain a positive outcome in your case without a protracted legal battle. If taking your case to court is necessary, however, I have considerable trial experience and am prepared to advocate vigorously on your behalf.

Schedule A Free Consultation With Mark D. Hodgson

As an experienced Spokane attorney, I will protect your rights and guide you through your case. You do not have to go through this alone, I will help you every step of the way.
Free Consultation

Reviews from Our Clients

I hired Mark Hodgson for a divorce in Spokane. He was open, friendly, and gave me great advice and counsel. Mark was honest with me about my case and worked hard to resolve all of my issues quickly. He responded to my phone calls and questions every time. He was WONDERFUL in my hearing and got me alimony, child support, and the parenting plan that my children needed. I had two other lawyers before Mark and he is far superior to my previous counsel. He fought hard for me and he knew the law. I would and will recommend him to everyone that i know.
These situations are never easy. Deciding to get a lawyer then choosing one was a very hard decision. I spoke to a few people that have been thru divorce and Mark’s name came up more than once. I went and met with him, his business partners and Casey his assistant. They were all friendly, professional and most importantly for me nonjudgmental. He is very educated on divorce with children and keeps in mind what is best for the kids! He answered my questions and didn’t make me feel belittled as other lawyers did. Thank you Mark Hodgson and team you are all very appreciated!
Called Mark Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. He got us in that Friday the day after Thanksgiving. We decided to hire him and he made the time to start the process of paperwork that Sunday. It was great he did this so my wife and I didn’t have to miss work and our case was a time sensitive issue. The few times I’ve had to emailed him he seem to get right back to us with answers.
our team

Meet Our Attorneys

We are a dedicated team of family law and divorce attorneys driven by a passion for empowering clients. With personalized representation, we prioritize your goals and safeguard the well-being of you and your children. Meet our compassionate advocates below.

Mark D. Hodgson

I am committed to helping my clients through one of the most difficult times in their lives....
Mark D. Hodgson

Areas We Serve

Contact Us to Get Legal Help

When it comes to family law and divorce matters in Spokane, trust the dedicated team at Hodgson Law Office. Our experienced attorneys have a track record of success in family court, providing effective and efficient legal services. We prioritize your needs and strive for favorable outcomes. Contact us today for a free consultation by calling (509) 327-1415 or filling out the form below.
* Communication through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and Hodgson Law Offices
Thank you!
Your message has been submitted
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
divorce and family law attorney near medivorce attorney family law


  • Is there a time limit on prenuptial agreements?

    Prenuptial agreements in Washington State don't have an expiration date. However, it's recommended to review and update them periodically to ensure they remain valid and enforceable.

  • Can you make a prenuptial agreement after marriage?

    Yes, a couple can create a postnuptial agreement after they're married. In this case, it's important to make sure both parties fully understand and agree to the terms.

  • Can you draft your own prenuptial agreement?

    While it's technically possible to create your own prenuptial agreement, it's not recommended. Prenuptial agreements are complex legal documents, and it's best to work with an experienced attorney to ensure it's properly drafted.

  • Can you break a prenuptial agreement?

    A prenuptial agreement can be challenged or overturned under certain circumstances, such as if it was signed under duress or if it's deemed unfair or unreasonable.

  • Can one attorney represent both parties in a prenuptial agreement?

    In Washington State, it's generally not recommended for one attorney to represent both parties in a prenuptial agreement as it can create a conflict of interest. Each party should have their own attorney to ensure their interests are protected.