big city

Child Relocation Lawyer in Spokane WA

Child relocation matters can be complicated and emotionally charged. As a parent, you want what's best for your child, but navigating the legal system can be overwhelming. At Hodgson Law Office, our experienced Spokane child relocation lawyer can help you understand your rights and responsibilities and guide you through the process.
Free Consultation

Our Experienced Spokane Child Relocation Attorneys Are Ready to Assist You

At Hodgson Law Office in Spokane, our experienced child relocation attorneys are ready to assist you with your relocation needs. We understand that child relocation matters can be complex and emotional, and we're here to provide you with the guidance and support you need to protect your rights and achieve a successful outcome.
Whether you're a primary residential parent seeking to relocate with your minor children or a non-custodial parent contesting a relocation, our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to assist you. We can help you understand your rights and responsibilities under Washington law, including the requirement to provide notice of intended relocation and the potential for contesting a relocation. Our team proudly serves clients throughout Spokane County, Stevens County, Lincoln County, and Adams County.
We also understand that child relocation matters can be complicated when there are existing court orders regarding parenting plans and visitation arrangements. Our attorneys can help you navigate these complexities and ensure that your parental rights are protected throughout the relocation process.
child relocation laws

Common Child Relocation Legal Issues We Can Help You With

At Hodgson Law Office, our experienced child relocation attorneys can help you navigate the many legal issues that may arise during the relocation process. We understand that child relocation matters can be complex and emotional, and we're here to provide you with the guidance and support you need to protect your rights and achieve a successful outcome. Some of the common child relocation legal issues we can help you with include:
  • - Complying with notice requirements for relocating
  • - Modifying family support orders
  • - Modifying custody and visitation orders
  • - Developing and negotiating new custody or parenting plans
  • - Addressing out-of-state relocations and jurisdictional issues under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act
With our help, you can ensure that the best interest of you and your family is protected throughout the relocation process

Contact Dedicated Washington State Child Relocation Attorneys Today!

If you're facing child relocation matters in Washington State, our dedicated attorneys are here to help. Contact Hodgson Law Office today to schedule a consultation and discuss your legal options. We'll provide you with the guidance and support you need to protect your rights and achieve a successful outcome.
Free Consultation

Relocation and Its Impact on Child Custody Arrangements

Child relocation and relocation actions can have a significant impact on your parental rights. Under Washington law, divorced parents of a minor child are typically subject to court orders regarding custody, parenting plans, and visitation arrangements. Relocation can result in a material change of circumstances that could justify modifying the terms of an existing custody or visitation arrangement.
If one parent plans to relocate, the other parent has the right to object. To successfully object to parental relocation, a party must prove that the detrimental consequences of moving outweigh the benefits. Our child relocation attorneys can help you understand your rights and obligations in a relocation action and work with you to protect your interests. Contact Hodgson Law Office in Spokane to schedule a consultation today.

What Is the Relocation Law for Children in Washington State?

In Washington State, the rules governing child relocation are detailed in RCW § 26.09.430. According to the statute, a person with whom the child resides a majority of the time must notify every other person entitled to residential time or visitation with the child under a court order if the person intends to relocate.
RCW § 26.09.440 stipulates that a custodial parent who wishes to relocate out of the child’s school district must give at least 60 days' notice to the other parent. The notice must be in writing and delivered via a process server or another form of mailing requiring a return receipt.
The non-custodial parent has 30 days from the receipt of the notice to object to the relocation, and failure to object may result in approval of the relocation by the court.
However, the courts will waive the 60-day notice requirement in emergency situations in which the custodial parent had very little notice of the need to move, such as military orders to relocate. Even in urgent matters, appropriate notice must be provided to the other parent.
child relocation lawyer

Factors That Courts Consider in Child Relocation Cases

When it comes to child relocation cases, courts consider a range of factors to determine the best interests of the child. At Hodgson Law Office in Spokane, our team of diligent attorneys can help you navigate the complex legal landscape of child relocation and protect your legal rights. Some of the factors that courts consider in child relocation cases include:
  • - The impact on family relations;
  • - Good faith reasons and objections;
  • - The age and developmental needs of the children;
  • - Questions regarding the quality of life;
  • - Alternatives to relocation;
  • - The financial impact of relocating.
By working with an experienced child relocation attorney in Spokane, you can ensure that these factors are taken into account and that your interests are protected throughout the process.

Options for Parents Against Relocation

If you're a noncustodial parent who has received notice of the intended relocation of your child, you have the option to object to the relocation within 30 days. Failing to object within that time period may result in the court allowing the relocation. To voice your objections, you may file a petition for modification of the parenting plan or other relevant paperwork, such as a motion for a temporary order, to be heard by the court. It's important to get a formal court action on the court's calendar so that a hearing with a judge can be scheduled. At the hearing, the noncustodial parent must prove that the negative effects outweigh the benefits of the relocation.
Following the hearing, the judge will issue a written order based on Washington law, but cannot consider whether the noncustodial parent will have to relocate as well.

Why Choose the Hodgson Law Office?

Choosing the right family law attorney is crucial for child relocation matters. At Hodgson Law Office in Spokane, we provide proven legal guidance and representation for families. Here's why we're the right choice:
  • Experience

    Our attorneys have extensive experience in family law, including child relocation cases, ensuring effective representation and guidance.
  • Free consultations

    We offer free initial consultations to discuss your case and provide clear legal options.
  • Individualized approach

    Our tailored approach ensures legal strategies that meet unique goals and needs.
  • Comprehensive case management

    We handle all aspects of your case to achieve favorable outcomes.
  • Honest communication

    Our clients are a priority and we prioritize open and honest communication throughout the legal process.

Schedule an Appointment with Our Experienced Attorneys for Child Relocation in Spokane, WA

Don't face child relocation matters alone. Contact Hodgson Law Office in Spokane today to schedule a consultation with our experienced child relocation attorneys. We encourage you to schedule an appointment with our child relocation attorneys in Spokane and discuss your legal options today!
Free Consultation

Reviews from Our Clients

I hired Mark Hodgson for a divorce in Spokane. He was open, friendly, and gave me great advice and counsel. Mark was honest with me about my case and worked hard to resolve all of my issues quickly. He responded to my phone calls and questions every time. He was WONDERFUL in my hearing and got me alimony, child support, and the parenting plan that my children needed. I had two other lawyers before Mark and he is far superior to my previous counsel. He fought hard for me and he knew the law. I would and will recommend him to everyone that i know.
These situations are never easy. Deciding to get a lawyer then choosing one was a very hard decision. I spoke to a few people that have been thru divorce and Mark’s name came up more than once. I went and met with him, his business partners and Casey his assistant. They were all friendly, professional and most importantly for me nonjudgmental. He is very educated on divorce with children and keeps in mind what is best for the kids! He answered my questions and didn’t make me feel belittled as other lawyers did. Thank you Mark Hodgson and team you are all very appreciated!
Called Mark Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. He got us in that Friday the day after Thanksgiving. We decided to hire him and he made the time to start the process of paperwork that Sunday. It was great he did this so my wife and I didn’t have to miss work and our case was a time sensitive issue. The few times I’ve had to emailed him he seem to get right back to us with answers.
our team

Meet Our Attorneys

Our experienced child relocation lawyers at Hodgson Law Office are result-oriented and passionate about helping families with their child relocation legal matters. Meet our child relocation attorneys today that are ready to provide you with the legal support and guidance you need.

Mark D. Hodgson

I am committed to helping my clients through one of the most difficult times in their lives....
Mark D. Hodgson

Areas We Serve

Contact Trusted Child Relocation Attorneys in Washington State Today to Assist You With Your Family Law Matters!

At Hodgson Law Office, our experienced child relocation attorneys in Washington state are dedicated to guiding you through the complex legal process and protecting your child's best interests. If you're facing child relocation legal matters in Spokane or the surrounding areas, schedule your free consultation with us today by calling (509) 327-1415.
* Communication through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and Hodgson Law Offices
Thank you!
Your message has been submitted
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
divorce and family law attorney near medivorce attorney family law


  • Can a parent move a child out of state Washington State?

    A custodial parent intending to move out of the state with the child must comply with strict rules outlined in Washington law. This includes providing 60 days’ notice to the noncustodial parent, who has 30 days to object to the relocation. If the noncustodial parent does not object, the courts will typically allow the child relocation.

  • Can I relocate with my child without notice if there's no parenting plan?

    If you and your ex have no parenting plan in place, then Washington laws regarding child relocation do not apply, but you are still required to provide appropriate notice to the other parent. Failing to do so can negatively impact any future custody determinations. It is advisable to consult a family law attorney before making any plans to relocate with your child.

  • What if the other parent doesn't agree to the relocation?

    If a non-custodial parent objects to the relocation, the court can forbid the parent from moving the child out of the school district. Overcoming a presumption in favor of the move can be difficult, but not impossible. The court will weigh various factors, including the child’s relationship with each parent, prior agreements, disruptions to contact, history of violence, the child’s age and development, alternatives to relocation, quality of life, and financial/logistical implications. Contingent plans made by the parents in the event of relocation being denied are not considered by the court.