Parental Relocation

Advocating For You in Parental Relocation Cases

At Hodgson Law Office, I am committed to helping mothers and fathers who are involved in difficult legal challenges. I am Mark D. Hodgson, and I represent both custodial and noncustodial parents in parental relocation cases in Spokane and throughout Washington.

Legal Issues When A Parent Tries To Relocate

When spouses obtain a marital dissolution, it is not uncommon for one or both to move to a new location to find employment, be closer to family members or pursue a new life in a new community. When spouses have no children, the issue is moot. When spouses have minor children, however, significant challenges may arise.

While a custodial parent may have valid reasons for moving, the noncustodial parent may feel that relocation will impair his or her visitation rights. Parents wishing to move and parents opposing a relocation should immediately consult with a lawyer to determine how to best protect their rights. Washington law dictates specific legal requirements for both custodial and noncustodial parents in such situations. A failure to take appropriate legal action could impair your parental rights.

Advising On Parental Relocation (Move-Away) Laws

If you are a custodial parent seeking to relocate, you must provide notice to the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent must timely file an objection if he or she wishes to oppose the relocation. Washington law creates a rebuttable presumption that a relocation is in the best interests of a minor child. However, a court may consider several factors when determining whether to restrict a custodial parent from relocating with minor children.

Protect Your Rights

If you are involved in a parental relocation dispute, protect your rights by retaining an experienced parental relocation attorney. While Washington law creates a rebuttable presumption that favors custodial parents, there are courts that will quickly deny a relocation if key issues are not framed effectively. Likewise, any noncustodial parent who opposes a relocation will require an experienced family law attorney who is able to effectively articulate a compelling argument in opposition to a proposed relocation.

Contact Us

Schedule A Free Consultation With Mark D. Hodgson

As an experienced Spokane attorney, I will protect your rights and guide you through your case. You do not have to go through this alone; I will help you every step of the way.