Child Custody And Child Support FAQ

FAQ: Child Custody And Child Support

Child custody and child support proceedings are difficult for many reasons. I understand what you are going through at Hodgson Law Office in Spokane. Washington family law is hard to understand on your own. I am here to help. I am an experienced family law lawyer who will help you every step of the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

I have put together a list of frequently asked questions regarding children and common issues during divorce to help you gain a better understanding of the family law system and what to expect in your case.

Do I have to pay child support? Every noncustodial parent is required to pay child support. The amount of support you pay is determined by several factors and can be modified under certain circumstances.

How much do I need in maintenance? Several factors are considered when calculating child support. Every case is different, so it is best to work with an attorney to determine an up-to-date order.

How can I change my child support order? You can file a motion for an adjustment of child support or file a petition for a modification of child support. There is no guarantee that the court will change your order as you must meet specific legal criteria.

What does a parenting plan do? The parenting plan states where the child will live, how much time each parent will spend with the child, who will make major decisions and how disputes will be resolved.

Is joint custody possible in my case? Every case is unique. The court considers many factors, with the most important being the best interests of the child. Joint custody is possible, but other options may be explored given the nature and relationship each parent has with the child.

How is paternity established? Paternity results can lead to child support and child custody issues. Paternity can be established in a few ways, including:

  • Presumption of paternity if the parents are married or were married near the time of birth
  • Both parents sign an acknowledgement of paternity
  • Adoption
  • The father is determined by court order

Contact Us

Schedule A Free Consultation With Mark D. Hodgson

As an experienced Spokane attorney, I will protect your rights and guide you through your case. You do not have to go through this alone; I will help you every step of the way.