big city
We offer easy and convenient Invoice Payment options for you!

Modifying Child Support


When a couple files for divorce and minor children are involved, the court will order a parenting plan as part of the divorce settlement that includes the details of custody and child support. Child support is set when the divorce is finalized, but circumstances for parents and children change over time. In the months or years following a divorce, it may be necessary to modify an existing child support order. At the Hodgson Law Office, our team of experienced family law attorneys is prepared to help you request or defend against a modification for child support in your case. Call or contact the office today to schedule a consultation if you’re wondering about modifying child support.

When can a Support Order be Modified? 

In Washington state, a child support order can be modified after the order has been in place for at least one year, and a parent can show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the support order was issued. In order to qualify as a substantial change, the circumstances alleged must be permanent, unforeseen at the time the order was issued, and material.

A substantial change in circumstances can be either positive or negative and can result in either an increase or decrease in child support. With a one year modification it must also be shown that the amount of support somehow is creating financial hardship. Beyond this, in Washington State, child support can be reviewed every two years without a change in circumstance.

Reasons for Modifying Child Support 

There are many reasons why a court may order a modification in child support based on a substantial change in circumstances. One of the most common reasons for a modification occurs when a parent loses a job, but a significant pay raise and promotion is another reason for a modification. If the parent paying child support becomes seriously ill, it may warrant a modification in child support, and it may also be modified if a child gets sick. This is particularly important now as the COVID-19 pandemic affects people of all ages in Washington state.

It is also important to point out circumstances that may not warrant a modification in child support payments. A temporary decrease in working hours or pay is not usually enough to warrant a modification in child support. Willfully remaining unemployed in order to avoid child support payments also does not constitute a substantial change in circumstances. One-time expenses for a child, such as payment for a summer camp, also do not usually qualify for a modification in support, although new ongoing expenses like orthodontia bills often do meet the qualifications for a substantial change in circumstances. To learn more about whether the specifics of your case may permit a modification in child support for your family, talk to a knowledgeable family law attorney today.

Call or Contact Our Office Now

If there has been a substantial change in circumstances in your family since your divorce, you or your former spouse may have a claim for a modification of child support. To learn more about your legal options, call the office or contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Washington family law attorneys at the Hodgson Law Office in Spokane. 


No items found.
Mark D. Hodgson

Mark D. Hodgson

Mark D. Hodgson and his legal team at Hodgson Law Office provide exceptional, personalized representation in family law and divorce cases. With a commitment to trust, integrity, and vigorous advocacy, Hodgson Law Office offers reliable and compassionate legal assistance for all your family law issues.

Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Spokane Divorce Lawyer Today!

When it comes to divorce, you need a trusted advocate on your side. Hodgson Law Office is here to help. Schedule a consultation today and get the legal support you need.
Free Consultation

Contact Our Spokane Family Law Attorneys for Assistance

Don't navigate family law issues alone. Let Hodgson Law Office advocate for your best interests. Schedule a free consultation now.
Free Consultation